The Simple Things in Life

Every now and then something happens in our lives that we feel is very unique in itself, in my case it was watching a football game. It is very important for me to watch a game like this is a team that I have supported for so long! In fact my whole life I was a Liverpool fan, I saw some great times and not so great times especially in recent years. Yes! We won three trophies in one particular season, and it was great, but even then it is still something missing. With a history of this great football club Liverpool FC has the best record when it comes to winning the English League. They won the European Cup more times than any other British soccer club on the 25th day May 2005 will be found with another golden opportunity for clinching this beautiful cup with big ears, now called the Champions League trophy.

so I was expecting this match, which had elements of a classic soccer spectacular. In one corner you have a powerful team from Italy, AC Milan. With a star studied the great football experts from Paolo Maldini, Andriy Shevchenko and Kaka talented new play maker. In the other corner you have my team Liverpool, which is somehow a terrible Premiership league campaign behind them, where they could only finish fifth behind their city rivals Everton and miss out on automatic Champions League spot for next season, but it inspired two Scousers, the club captain Steven Gerrard and Jamie Carragher irrepressible through the season, found themselves in the most lucrative football game in world football. It was a dream, not only for players but for all Liverpool fans around the world to see this great football club back where it belongs, on top of the charts in the world of football. So, on this night two great teams steeped in history fought for a place in history.

Going back to my day I rang a good friend of mine and if she wanted to watch the game with me at a local bar ... she said yes! It was supposed to be her first time seeing a game like this and was very excited about all this because everyone is talking about ... So we met up and walked to the bar. As we entered we could see that the place streaming with Liverpool fans, but you had even Milan fan or two hiding and keeping a low profile in the corner bar.

Thus we find a nice place to get a good look at the game and ordered some beers. You could feel the Predicting all the appearance of Liverpool fans at the bar, where some very cheerful!

The second looked just happy to be there. I was quiet outside, but inside I was a mess. Large screens on the walls that seemed larger than it really is anyone's attention, even some bar staff would be a little top of the screen, the place is buzzing.

My friend took her cigarettes and lit one, she was lucky to have that comfort, all I wanted at that moment was to get my beer and a game to start. Then as we watched the players come out, there was a loud cheer from the bar crowd and set one of the guys start singing "You'll never walk alone". I began to feel a little better and start to sing along with them, but only in my head. Then the game started, all I meant is that we try to put as much pressure on the Milan players from the get go. Then we gave away an early free kick, but at the time our beers arrived and the girl who brought it to us has my attention for a second or two and at that point he scored against Milan ... It was a hush of silence far from the bar and as I looked around I could see people in total shock at what had just happened. I thought that was foolishly left back our Djimi Traore is a terrible player, not fit to wear a Liverpool shirt, but he would later show me and everyone wrong. My friend tried to give me some moral support by smiling and saying, do not worry I still think Liverpool will win ... I just looked at the screen with strict distain.

The game is all in Milan, they were winning all the tackles, getting free kicks in dangerous mjesta.Liverpool players look tired, unsure and almost beaten, it's not a pretty sight, to be chasing shadows it seemed. I just kept looking around the bar trying to ignore what is happening, and then it got worse. How he looked like a penalty for Liverpool was rejected, and within seconds Milan broke away and scored. Then just before half-time break Milan broke away again and scored a third, so far everyone in the bar was silent and stunned, but even Milan fans I mentioned earlier were singing away happily in the corner. I was gutted! I look at my friend and said: Let's go ... She looked at me and said, OK! And as we left I looked back and looked at my fellow fans, and he hoped that Liverpool would not be embarrassed and go out in the second half and show some heart. As we walked home to my house I told my friend that I would cook for her and we could watch the rest of the game at my place.

We arrived at my house as the second half is about to begin, I turned on the TV, and then pulled out a bottle of red wine, it opened up and poured two large glasses and gave one to my friend.

She sat up suddenly and said, you know what Mark, "It's never over until fat lady sings'.

I think Liverpool may still come back and win, she said. I just looked at her again thinking this girl knows nothing about football, because if she did she would know that Milan would never give three goals for the team just outplayed for 45 minutes and its defensive nature that would be totally impossible Liverpool to make a comeback. So I smiled at her and told her to drink her wine while I prepared dinner. While I was cutting vegetables in the kitchen, I could hear her screaming on TV, which is strange because it did not do the bar. So I took a little peak for myself and noticed that Liverpool has made some changes, the German midfielder Dietmar Hamann is now on the ground and it gave me hope that Liverpool could maintain at least a decent result. But what is also not as good to make a Steven Gerrard free to roam and move forward.

Then there was another scream from my living room, my friend was jumping around, I came in silence, and Liverpool won. It was Steven Gerrard, change tactics worked, Liverpool seemed more to this game and the players looked different somehow, but Milan has remained convinced then two minutes later the game turned on the head, the ball is played with Vladimir Smicer and he drilled the ball home of 20 meters and Liverpool, where even in the game, I came running into the room screaming with happiness, which is exactly dogodilo.Zrak was electric again, i could not leave the living room and all of a sudden the game changed ponovno.Milan players looked shell shocked, because within a few minutes Liverpool was level conditions. Gerrard threw the Milan penalty area and was a violation. To a certain penalty, this time I was on my knees yelling at the ceiling. I'm sure my neighbors could hear everything. Even my friend was jumping for joy shouting, I told you, I told you !!!

She was right! It has proved one thing for me and it's all football Pundits and I knew nothing about football! Can I do this, you could actually win this match? No team has ever come back with three goals to win the Champions League Final. I had to stop cooking at that time said that the dinner will just have to wait and so we drank more wine and watched the rest of the game with our hearts in our mouths. It seemed that both of us had turned into screaming at the TV and it will continue until the now famous Jerzy Dudek "Hand of God" to save as Shevchenko denied the winner for Milan in the dying seconds of extra time. We were both quiet and my head in my hands at that moment ... The referee blew for full time and the game is over. At that point I had to get up and walk around the house, such as the nervous hell! I walked back into the living room, listening to the commentator remarking on how Liverpool won the penalty shoot out against Roma in 1984 and our goalkeeper at the time, Bruce Grobballar saved two penalties for the disposal of Roma players as he could and now it almost seems like deja vous .

Who will be the villain and who's going to be a hero, it is now the lottery! I needed more wine so I opened another bottle, my friend could not drink more it was just adamant that Liverpool will win. She noted, look at the Milan players do not look happy!

I had a look and noticed the same thing! They seem to be beaten before the first shot.

She's right, our goalkeeper was not anything he could to put out the Milan first shot scorer Serginho and radio! He missed the flame ball high above the bar. It was our turn next and I was not worried, because this is our German international Dietmar Hamann and as predicted he scored. I was quiet, but still nervous, it was their turn again, that would surely result, but again Jerzy Dudek in the antics on the goal line is not a job and saved easily. We would be 2-0 now if the French international striker Djibril Cisse to score after he suffered a broken leg and missing most of the season shows his class and calmly placed the ball on the right side of Milan goalkeeper Dida's goal as he has no chance. It is in our hands now, only two more of kicks, and we would champion of Europe. Kaka would result from their place of impact ... then our hearts were in our mouths when our left midfielder John Arne Riise missed his spot kick, it's now 2-1, but still in our favor, and before we knew him, Danish international Jon Dahl Tomasson is 2-2.

She's right, our goalkeeper was not anything he could to put out the Milan first shot scorer Serginho and radio! He missed the flame ball high above the bar. It was our turn next and I was not worried, because this is our German international Dietmar Hamann and as predicted he scored. I was quiet, but still nervous, it was their turn again, that would surely result, but again Jerzy Dudek in the antics on the goal line is not a job and saved easily. We would be 2-0 now if the French international striker Djibril Cisse to score after he suffered a broken leg and missing most of the season shows his class and calmly placed the ball on the right side of Milan goalkeeper Dida's goal as he has no chance. It is in our hands now, only two more of kicks, and we would champion of Europe. Kaka would result from their place of impact ... then our hearts were in our mouths when our left midfielder John Arne Riise missed his spot kick, it's now 2-1, but still in our favor, and before we knew him, Danish international Jon Dahl Tomasson is 2-2.

...

I started to think about all those who lost their lives going to see Liverpool play all the disasters that have occurred during a soccer game. My heart went out to them ... It is moments like this that makes it possible to see why soccer is so important that men and women on the street. We refer to it in so many ways. We support our team, because we have decided and win, lose or draw all the emotions of this sport and all the other sports can collect are worth it for moments like these. So, when everything is over and as I tried to figure out what just happened, one thing dawned on me and it was simple things in life that I cherish most and watching my team play one of them.

06/04/2005

Mark J Stevens ©